NFC RFID Contactless Reader Writer – µFR Nano is an advanced development tool based on NFC and RFID technology. It operates at a frequency of 13.56 MHz. The device is compliant with ISO14443 A&B and ISO18092 standards.
In brief, this NFC module is a qualified professional tool for IT companies and individuals engaged in RFID NFC solution development. It comes with free SDK source code examples, cross-platform libraries, upgradeable firmware, a well-documented API, and a communication protocol.
We also provide plug-and-play apps that make µFR Nano an excellent choice for end-users.
This small but powerful device is fully featured and fully NFC compatible. Furthermore. it is available with USB, UART (TTL), or RS232 connectivity interface. Well-documented API, software SDK, cross-platform libraries, firmware upgrades, and excellent technical support make it a No 1 tool for any RFID NFC custom project development.
In addition to the final product with the well-designed and customizable case, µFR Nano RFID NFC reader/writer is also available as an OEM NFC module with a connector of the customers’ choice.
Docs & Software Download
Who is it for?
µFR Nano RFID NFC Reader/Writer is primarily suitable for development companies and individuals (professionals and hobbyists) for further applications and turnkey solutions development. Hence, it comes with a fully-featured Software Development Kit, including firmware, libraries, source code examples, and documentation for various platforms, operating systems, and development environments. We launch upgrades frequently (including firmware, libraries, and API). All updates are available to download at our official website for FREE.
In addition to the above facts, our free, extensive and fast support makes RFID NFC Reader Writer – µFR Nano a high place in this industry sector.
The RF communication of this NFC RFID reader writer is based on its highly integrated robust NXP IC interface. Therefore, the device operates on HF 13.56 MHz and successfully communicates with cards, labels, wristbands, and tags of ISO/IEC 14443 A, ISO/IEC 14443 B, and ISO/IEC 18092 standard.
As a result of its outstanding modulation and demodulation concepts and many integrated 13.56 MHz contactless communication protocols, the implementation of this device is simple and reliable for any RFID NFC solution developer.
Both hardware and software have been fully-featured and successfully implemented with MIFARE®, NTAG21x, NTAG 4xx DNA, and JCOP family cards/tags:
- MIFARE Mini®,
- MIFARE Classic® (1K, 4K, EV1),
- MIFARE Ultralight®,
- MIFARE Ultralight C®,
- MIFARE Plus® (2K, 4K, S, X, EV1),
- MIFARE DESFire® (Light, 2K, 4K, 8K, EV1, EV2),
- NXP NTAG® 21x (210, 213, 215, 216, Tag Tamper),
- NXP NTAG® 4xx DNA (413, 424),
- NXP JCOP® Java Card (J3A040, J3A081, J3H145, JC30M48CR).
Besides, this tool supports all other tags compatible with the listed above.
Even though the supported technologies list is already wide, our development team constantly works on product improvements and upgrades, staying in line with this technology’s global trends.
THIS NFC RFID READER WRITER IS ALSO AVAILABLE AS AN OEM NFC RFID MODULE.
The OEM board is available in three versions:
- USB – with standard micro-USB connector
- UART TTL – with the 5-pin male header connector
- RS-232 – via an adapter with a DB9 connector.
Digital Logic’s proprietary interoperable firmware runs on all µFR series hardware based on the MCU platform. The reader and host establish communication through the fast FTDI chip.
Basically, at the communication level, the device uses a unique proprietary Digital Logic communication protocol.
The µFR series firmware contains many complex built-in functions available for calling via libraries explained in the API docs.
Finally, many functions implementation examples have been developed to make life easier for developers and integrators by reducing development time.
For instance, the following projects:
- Support for multiple RFID NFC readers on a single host.
- The whole set of commands for MIFARE Classic® manipulation according to the manufacturer’s specification
- Various addressing schemes (Block, BlockInSector)
- The key storage handling(one way, write only, no reading of stored keys)
- Various key applying modes (by index or scheme)
- Value block manipulation
- Using the entire memory structure as linear space ( convenient for most card types)
- NFC tags handling, NDEF format parsing in firmware
- AES128 “on the fly” built-in hardware encryption, which is extremely important for working with complex DESFire security keys
- AES128 encryption of files and keys in DESFire cards
- MIFARE Plus support
- MIFARE Ultralight C support
- APDU command structure support, where applicable (ISO 14443-4 layer)
- Asynchronous UID sending from reader to host COM port when a card is present – the feature is user-programmable.
Specifically, the μFR Firmware key feature is the ability to call all its functions using our communication protocol.
For this reason, it is possible to implement the μFR device on almost any platform with a serial interface.
Supported platforms include:
- Embedded systems
- Raspberry Pi and other compatible Single Board Computers
- MIPS boards
Frequent firmware updates include new features, improvements, and bug fixes while maintaining compatibility with previous versions.
Accordingly, the project code and developed software are secure, so there is no need to make any changes after the firmware upgrade.
All firmware updates and upgrades are FREE and available at the Digital Logic official GitLab repository.
Software Development Kit
This RFID NFC reader comes with a fully-featured Software Development Kit with external libraries, examples with source codes, documentation about API references, communication protocol, and many useful software tools.
Libraries are cross-compiled for various platforms and so far support:
- Windows x86/x64
- Windows ARM/UWP
- Linux x86/x64
- Linux ARM/ARM64/ARMHF
- macOS x64
Software source code examples are available for all major development platforms and languages:
- Java Applet
- Node JS
- Borland Delphi
- C++ Borland Builder
- C++ WxWidgets
- Microsoft® Visual .NET family: C++.NET, C#.NET,VB.NET
- Arduino IDE examples.
Besides, our team is ready to develop additional SDK examples in other programming languages on client requests. The request processing time depends on our current project plans and eventual partnership agreement.
Package includes a set of very useful SDK source code software and executable apps. Some of these are:
- MIFARE Classic® (1k, 4k, EV1) cards and tags programming software
- MIFARE® DESFire® (Light, 2k, 4k, 8k, EV1, EV2) cards and tags programming software
- MIFARE PLUS® (2k, 4k) cards and tags programming software
- MIFARE Ultralight® (EV1) cards and tags programming software
- MIFARE Ultralight® C cards and tags programming software
- NTAG® (2xx, DNA, Tag Tamper) cards and tags programming software
- Application for common NDEF messages creating and writing into NFC tags
- Credit cards reding app (public data only)
- Formatter – software tool for card/tag formatting and programming
- uFR2FileSystem and uFR2File Lite – Keyboard simulation app, with a data reading, data parsing into several formats, and sending data to MySQL database via HTTP
- uFR Shell – Shell-like environment for easy testing and automation
- Browser extensions (add-ons) for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera
- Application for reading ePassports (Machine Readable Travel Documents)
- Digital Signing app
- APDU commands sending software
- JCOP cards programming software.
- Electronic payment systems
- Identification systems
- Access control systems
- Subscription services
- Banking systems
- Digital content system
- Customer loyalty systems
- Vending machines
- Time & attendance
- Machine work attendance
- NFC card and tag programming
- NFC NDEF records management
- Network access control
- Inventory management
- Software login management
- Automatic fare collection
- Public transport terminals
- Cashless payment
- Parking systems
- Reception desk services
- Event visitors attendance
- Authentication and authorization
- Libraries, museums, stadium events
- Identity verification, data exchange & contactless transaction
- Useful for the binding device to software license
- Supporting multiple OS (Win, Linux, Android)
- USB compliant interface
- Operating Frequency: 13.56MHz
- Proximity read/write speed up to 424 kbps
- Built-in antenna for contactless tag access, with a reading distance of up to 60 mm
- Supports MIFARE® and other ISO 14443 Type A/B
- Supports ISO18092 NFC tags
- Built-in anti-collision feature
- RFID Reader locking by passwords and keys
- Application Programming Interface:
- Virtual COM through FTDI
- User controllable LEDs
- Three-year warranty
- NFC cards and tags reading/writing (programming)
- NFC NDEF Record writing: MIME types, URI types, vCard, SMS, Phone, URL
- Card formatting
- Card linear space emulation
- Card block direct access
- Card sectors and blocks indirect access
- Card Keys and Access Bits management
- Block values management (increment/decrement)
- Asynchronously sending of Card UID to COM port (feature programmable)
- DES and 3DES Software Encryption
- Optional APDU structure (application protocol data unit) with examples of the Credit Card use in public data reading
- Shell-like environment for easy testing and automation
- Web browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera
- Digital Signing source code examples: contactless signing of digital documents with PKI (public key infrastructure) certificates
The documentation contains a detailed explanation of API and communication protocol reference with actual byte-level examples for communication protocol implementation. Our API provides a very comfortable way of implementation, and we highly recommend it. When API implementation is not possible, a communication protocol is a very good alternative. We provide regular updates for all libraries, firmware, examples, tools, and documents. Updates are FREE and are available for download from the official Digital Logic GitLab repository.
Our support team always provides prompt responses. Depending on the inquiry complexity, you can expect an answer in no more than 24 hours.
We are open to custom development requirements based on specific customer needs. Feel free to contact us for any questions or further assistance regarding your projects and implementation.
NFC RFID Reader Writer Features:
|Operating frequency||13.56 MHz|
|Read range||Operating distance is 0-60mm (0”-2.36”), depending on the antenna geometry and reader configuration|
|Read and write speed||Up to 424 kbps|
|Supply current||150mA (operating)|
|Supported cards and tags||MIFARE® family: MIFARE Mini®, MIFARE Classic® (1K, 4K, EV1), MIFARE Ultralight®, MIFARE Ultralight C®, MIFARE PLUS® (2K, 4K, S, X, EV1), MIFARE DESFire® (Light, 2K, 4K, 8K, EV1, EV2)
NTAG® family: NXP NTAG® 2xx Type 2 (210, 213, 215, 216 Tag Tamper), NXP NTAG® 4xx DNA Type 4 (413, 424)
SmartMX® family: NXP JCOP® Java Card (J3A040, J3A081, J3H145, JC30M48CR)
|Connection and power supply||USB port, RS232, UART (TTL)|
|Supported Operating Systems||Microsoft® Windows™, Linux®, macOS, Android|
|Supported platforms||Windows x86/x64, Windows ARM/UWP, Linux x86/x64, Linux ARM/ARM64/ARMHF, macOS x64, iOS x64, Android, Arduino, ESP32|
|Smart Card Interface||ISO14443 Type A & B, ISO18092|
|Related equipment||USB cable, Free software download|
|Accessories||Cards, key-fobs, labels, wristbands, tags|
Size & Weight
|Model||Dimensions (mm)||Device||Commercial Set|
|µFR Nano||86 x 27 x 8||26 g||110 g|
|µFR Nano OEM||86 x 27 x 5||10 g||95 g|
|uFR Nano UART||87 x 27 x 5||11 g||80 g|