NFC RFID contactless reader/writer – µFR Advance is an upgraded version of the µFR Classic NFC Reader. The main hardware differences compared to the basic device version are:
- an addition of RTC (Real Time Clock) that provides an accurate time to prevent fake logs and time stamps
- user-configurable, password-protected part of EEPROM, recommended for highly sensitive data.
µFR Advance RFID NFC Reader/writer is a professional tool for IT companies and individuals engaged in RFID NFC solution development. It comes with free SDK source code examples, cross-platform libraries, upgradeable firmware, and well-documented API and communication protocol.
We also provide plug-and-play apps that make µFR Advance and an еxcellent choice for end-users, as well.
This small but powerful device is fully featured and fully NFC compatible. It is available with USB, UART (TTL), or RS232 connectivity options.
Followed by well-documented API, software SDK, cross-platform libraries, firmware upgrades, and excellent technical support, it’s a No 1 tool for any RFID NFC custom project development.
In addition to the final product in an attractively designed and customizable case, µFR Advance RFID NFC reader/writer is also available as an OEM NFC module with a connector of the customers’ choice.
Docs & Software Download
Who is it for?
µFR Advance RFID NFC reader is primarily intended for development companies and individuals (professionals and hobbyists) for further applications and turnkey solutions development. For this reason, it comes with a fully-featured Software Development Kit, including firmware, libraries, source code examples, and documentation for various platforms, operating systems, and development environments. We launch upgrades frequently (including firmware, libraries, and API), all available to download at our official website for FREE.
In addition to the facts mentioned above, our free, extensive, and fast-responsive support brings RFID NFC Reader Writer – µFR Advance to an outstanding position in this industry sector.
This RFID NFC readers’ RF communication is based on its robust, highly integrated NXP IC interface. The device operates on HF 13.56 MHz and successfully communicates with cards, labels, wristbands, and tags of ISO/IEC 14443 A, ISO/IEC 14443 B, and ISO/IEC 18092 standard.
With outstanding modulation and demodulation concepts, and many integrated 13.56 MHz contactless communication protocols, this device implementation becomes reliable and simple to every RFID NFC solution developer.
Both hardware and software, are fully developed, tested, and successfully implemented with MIFARE®, NTAG21x, NTAG 4xx DNA, and JCOP family cards/tags:
- MIFARE Mini®,
- MIFARE Classic® (1K, 4K, EV1),
- MIFARE Ultralight®,
- MIFARE Ultralight C®,
- MIFARE Plus® (2K, 4K, S, X, EV1),
- MIFARE DESFire® (Light, 2K, 4K, 8K, EV1, EV2),
- NXP NTAG® 21x (210, 213, 215, 216, Tag Tamper),
- NXP NTAG® 4xx DNA (413, 424),
- NXP JCOP® Java Card (J3A040, J3A081, J3H145, JC30M48CR).
Besides, this tool supports all other tags compatible with the listed above.
This RFID device also has a built-in Crypto1® algorithm and secure non-volatile internal key memory storage for better security. Communication with the host is provided by using the USB 2.0 Full Speed compatible interface. Data transfer rates are limited from 9600 baud to 1 Mbaud, for integrity and security reasons. This NFC RFID Reader can also act as a serial interface device using FTDI’s Virtual COM port (VCP) drivers.
Even though the supported technologies list is already wide, our development team constantly works on product improvements and upgrades, staying in line with this technology global trends.
THIS RFID MODEL IS ALSO AVAILABLE AS OEM NFC MODULE.
The device can also act as a serial interface device using FTDI’s Virtual COM port (VCP) drivers. Audible (speaker), 2 RGB LEDs visible indicators, and a buzzer are built-in and completely user-controllable, as well as an RTC (Real Time Clock), which and password-protected EEPROM.
Digital Logic proprietary interoperable firmware runs on all MCU platform based µFR Series hardware. The reader and the host establish communication through the high-speed FTDI chip direct access.
At the core, on the communication level, the device uses a Digital Logic unique proprietary communication protocol.
µFR Series firmware contains many complex built-in functions that can be called via libraries explained in API docs.
Most of the functions are developed to make „ life easier” for developers and integrators by decreasing their development time, such as:
- Support for multiple RFID NFC readers on a single host.
- The whole set of commands for MIFARE Classic® manipulation according to the manufacturer’s specification
- Various addressing schemes (Block, BlockInSector)
- The key storage handling(one way, write only, no reading of stored keys)
- Various key applying modes (by index or scheme)
- Value block manipulation
- Using entire memory structure as linear space ( convenient for most card types)
- NFC tags handling, NDEF format parsing in firmware
- AES128 “on the fly” built-in hardware encryption, which is extremely important for working with complex DESFire security keys
- AES128 encryption of files and keys in DESFire cards
- MIFARE Plus support
- MIFARE Ultralight C support
- APDU command structure support, where applicable (ISO 14443-4 layer)
- Asynchronous UID sending from reader to host COM port when a card is present – the feature is user-programmable.
The μFR Firmware key feature is the ability to call all its functions using our communication protocol.
Therefore, the μFR device implementation is possible on almost any platform with a serial interface by using the communication protocol.
Supported platforms include:
- Embedded systems
- Raspberry Pi and other compatible Single Board Computers
- MIPS boards
Frequent firmware updates include new features, improvements, and bug-fixes while preserving backward compatibility with the previous versions.
Accordingly, project code and developed software are safe, so there is no need for any changes after a firmware upgrade.
All firmware updates and upgrades are FREE and available at the Digital Logic official GitLab repository.
Software Development Kit
This RFID NFC reader comes with a fully-featured Software Development Kit with external libraries, examples with source codes, documentation about API reference, communication protocol, and many useful software tools.
Libraries are cross-compiled for various platforms and so far support:
- Windows x86/x64
- Windows ARM/UWP
- Linux x86/x64
- Linux ARM/ARM64/ARMHF
- macOS x64
All examples are written for all major developing platforms and languages, such as:
- Java Applet
- Node JS
- Borland Delphi
- C++ Borland Builder
- C++ WxWidgets
- Microsoft® Visual .NET family: C++.NET, C#.NET,VB.NET
- Arduino IDE examples.
Our team is ready to develop additional SDK examples in other programming languages on client requests. The request realization speed depends on our current project plans and eventual partnership agreement.
Package includes a set of very useful SDK source code software and executable apps. Some of these are:
- MIFARE Classic® (1k, 4k, EV1) cards and tags programming software
- MIFARE® DESFire® (Light, 2k, 4k, 8k, EV1, EV2) cards and tags programming software
- MIFARE PLUS® (2k, 4k) cards and tags programming software
- MIFARE Ultralight® (EV1) cards and tags programming software
- MIFARE Ultralight® C cards and tags programming software
- NTAG® (2xx, DNA, Tag Tamper) cards and tags programming software
- Application for common NDEF messages creating and writing into NFC tags
- Credit cards reding app (public data only)
- Formatter – software tool for card/tag formatting and programming
- uFR2FileSystem and uFR2File Lite – Keyboard simulation app, with a data reading, data parsing into several formats, and sending data to MySQL database via HTTP
- uFR Shell – Shell-like environment for easy testing and automation
- Browser extensions (add-ons) for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera
- Application for reading ePassports (Machine Readable Travel Documents)
- Digital Signing app
- APDU commands sending software
- JCOP cards programming software.
- Electronic payment systems
- Identification systems
- Access control systems
- Subscription services
- Banking systems
- Digital content system
- Customer loyalty systems
- Vending machines
- Time & attendance
- Machine work attendance
- NFC card and tag programming
- NFC NDEF records management
- Network access control
- Inventory management
- Software login management
- Automatic fare collection
- Public transport terminals
- Cashless payment
- Parking systems
- Reception desk services
- Event visitors attendance
- Authentication and authorization
- Libraries, museums, stadium events
- Identity verification, data exchange & contactless transaction
- Useful for the binding device to software license
- Supporting multiple OS (Win, Linux, Android)
- USB compliant interface
- Operating Frequency: 13.56MHz
- Proximity read/write speed up to 424 kbps
- Built-in antenna for contactless tag access, with a reading distance of up to 60 mm
- Supports MIFARE® and other ISO 14443 Type A/B
- Supports ISO18092 NFC tags
- Built-in anti-collision feature
- RFID Reader locking by passwords and keys
- Application Programming Interface:
- Virtual COM through FTDI
- User controllable LEDs
- Three-year warranty
- NFC cards and tags reading/writing (programming)
- NFC NDEF Record writing: MIME types, URI types, vCard, SMS, Phone, URL
- Card formatting
- Card linear space emulation
- Card block direct access
- Card sectors and blocks indirect access
- Card Keys and Access Bits management
- Block values management (increment/decrement)
- Asynchronously sending of Card UID to COM port (feature programmable)
- DES and 3DES Software Encryption
- Optional APDU structure (application protocol data unit) with examples of the Credit Card use in public data reading
- Shell-like environment for easy testing and automation
- Web browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera
- Digital Signing source code examples: contactless signing of digital documents with PKI (public key infrastructure) certificates
Downloads: API Documentation, µFR COM Protocol, Software source code examples with SDK
The documentation contains a detailed explanation of API and communication protocol reference with actual byte-level examples for communication protocol implementation. Our API provides a very comfortable way of implementation, and we highly recommend it. When API implementation is not possible, a communication protocol is a very good alternative. We provide regular updates for all libraries, firmware, examples, tools, and documents. Updates are FREE and are available for download from the official Digital Logic GitLab repository.
Our support team always provides prompt responses. Depending on the inquiry complexity, you can expect an answer in no more than 24 hours.
We are open to custom development requirements based on specific customer needs. Feel free to contact us for any questions or further assistance regarding your projects and implementation.
µFR Advance hardware features
|Operating frequency||13.56 MHz|
|Read range||Operating distance is 0-60mm (0”-2.36”), depending on the antenna geometry and reader configuration|
|Read/Write speed||Up to 424 kbps|
|Supply current||150mA (operating)|
|Supported cards and tags||MIFARE® family: MIFARE Mini®, MIFARE Classic® (1K, 4K, EV1), MIFARE Ultralight®, MIFARE Ultralight C®, MIFARE PLUS® (2K, 4K, S, X, EV1), MIFARE DESFire® (Light, 2K, 4K, 8K, EV1, EV2)
NTAG® family: NXP NTAG® 2xx Type 2 (210, 213, 215, 216 Tag Tamper), NXP NTAG® 4xx DNA Type 4 (413, 424)
SmartMX® family: NXP JCOP® Java Card (J3A040, J3A081, J3H145, JC30M48CR)
|Connection and power supply||USB port|
|Supported Operating Systems||Microsoft® Windows™, Linux®, macOS, Android|
|Supported platforms||Windows x86/x64, Windows ARM/UWP, Linux x86/x64, Linux ARM/ARM64/ARMHF, macOS x64, iOS x64, Android, Arduino, ESP32|
|Smart Card Interface||ISO14443 Type A & B, ISO18092|
|Related equipment||USB cable, Free software download, Embedded: Buzzer, Real-time Clock (RTC), EEPROM|
|Accessories||Cards, key-fobs, labels, wristbands, tags|
Size & Weight
|Model||Dimensions (mm)||Device||Commercial Set|
|µFR Advance||150 x 83 x 30||102 g||248 g|
|µFR Classic CS OEM||84 x 50 x 5||17 g||103 g|
WARRANTY: 24 MONTHS
An extended Three-year warranty is available on request. Contact us for more details.